Flood Modelling for Managers
This masterclass is an intensely practical guide on flood modelling for non-modellers. The masterclass will explore modelling software, the application of this software, data and the scoping and managing of flood modelling projects from a non-technical perspective. The masterclass will also provide practical guidance on common mistakes made by modellers that non-technical staff can check for along with flood modelling case studies with lessons learnt and a manger’s modelling checklist.
At the end of this 2-day masterclass you will have a better understanding of:
- Flood Modelling Fundamentals;
- Common hydrologic and hydraulic modelling packages;
- The role of direct rainfall modelling;
- The role of supporting software such as .batchy, waterRIDE and Crayfish;
- The role of CFD, GPU and HPC;
- Fit for purpose modelling – what is appropriate and when;
- Why modellers are always asking for special IT privileges;
- Common mistakes made by modellers that you can check for;
- How you can see what’s in the model and the model results.
- How long a flood modelling project should take and what the budget should be;
- How to scope projects to get the outcome you intended;
- Common project risks and how to manage these;
- Common exclusions applied by consultants; and
- What’s changed in ARR 2016 from ARR 1987.